Your home’s air conditioner is an important piece of equipment. It regulates the temperature in your home to ensure a comfortable living environment. Without this magical piece of technology your home can feel muggy and uncomfortable during the warmer months of the year. Because of the importance of your air conditioner (and the cost it adds to your electricity bill), you want to make sure that it is running efficiently. Check out our tips below for making sure that your air conditioner isn’t costing you more than it should.
- Filters: The most important task in making sure your air conditioner is running properly is also one of the easiest to do. Regularly changing the air filters in your home allows proper airflow to your air conditioner. Proper airflow means proper functionality. We suggest that you switch out your home’s air filters atleast every three months to insure optimal performance.
- Clean Those Fins: The aluminum fins that surround your air conditioning unit can easily become bent and dirty. This reduces air flow to the condenser coils, and causes your unit to work less efficiently than it should. Wash the coils with a gentle stream of water, and straighten out any bends with a fin comb.
- Coils: Over their months and years of services, air conditioner coils can get pretty gross. Dirt and other debri latches onto these coils reducing airflow and the ability of the coil to absorb heat. To avoid this issue, clean your air conditioner’s coils at least once a year. Doing this insures that your air conditioner is tackling as much heat as possible.
- Condensate Drains: Clogged drain channels prevent your air conditioner from properly reducing humidity, and can lead to discolouring of your walls and carpet. To prevent this occasionally pass i stiff brush or wire through your unit’s drain channel to unclog any gunk that may have built up. Remember, an air conditioner that doesn’t reduce humidity isn’t doing its job.
- Routine Checkups: Like an automobile, your air conditioner will occasionally need to be inspected and tuned up by a professional HVAC repairman. Routinely servicing your unit will help prevent small issues from turning into big issues, and can save you thousands of dollars over the life of your air conditioner.
At Buckhorn Heating and Air, we care about your HVAC needs. Our licensed professionals have years of experience in the HVAC industry, and will work with you to find and fix any problems that may be present in your air conditioner. Contact one of our service representatives today, and let us take the hassle out of your air conditioner repair and maintenance.